Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Awesome or Not?: Matthew McConaughey

My buddy Ed suggested that I start a new feature on here where I pick an actor or filmmaker and then through close examination of their career decide whether they are awesome, or not.


For my first go at this I decided to examine the career of Matthew McConughey, an actor whose first major role, that of David Wooderson in Dazed and Confused, was inarguably his most awesome. Really, it was all downhill for him after that.

Lonestar was pretty great. A Time to Kill, Frailty... those were both at least kind of awesome, but how can we be asked to excuse Surfer, Dude, or Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, The Wedding Planner, Fool's Gold?

Personally, I can't excuse them. I don't care how awesome his dragon-killing beard was in Reign of Fire, aside from Tropic Thunder it's been almost a decade since I've been interested in anything this guy's put out.

Matthew McConaughey = Not Awesome

This one was pretty much over before it began. Next time I'll try to pick someone who has a better shot at everlasting awesomeness.







2 comments:

  1. But what about personal life acheivements? This is a man who once had the cops called on him for playing his bongos in the buff while ripping bong hits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half the population of Alston have accomplished the same thing. I also have it on good authority that MM is a terrible tipper.

    ReplyDelete