Wednesday, May 5, 2010

LOST 6x14- "The Cadidate"

It has been announced that the series finale of Lost will be two and a half hours long. This means that after tonight there are four and a half hours remaining. That comes out to about three hours and twenty-two minutes after commercials.

This means that there are less than three and a half hours left to explain the history of the Island and its two oldest inhabitants and wrap-up numerous plot-lines in two timelines.

No problem.

I have nothing spoiler free to say about tonight's episode,"The Candidate", other than that it was really on a level of awesomeness that this season hasn't reached in a while, so if you haven't watched tonight's hour yet, turn back now.

::::::::SPOILERS BELOWWWW::::::::::::

I, like many astute viewers, went into tonight's episode expecting the death of at least one major character. We haven't had a major character death yet this season, and they're running out of episodes. Characters need to start dying in order to convey a real sense that anything can happen during the show's finale. The audience needs to believe that no one is safe in order for there to be any valid element of suspense.

That being said, I was thoroughly surprised by the amount of death tonight, and by the ability of the writers to keep us guessing who would make it and who wouldn't.

As soon as Kate was shot I was like, that's it, Kate's (finally) going to die tonight! For better or worse, Kate did not die during tonight's episode, but THREE characters who have been around since the show's very first hour did.

Let's discuss.

Firstly, I became emotionally detached from the character of Sayid a while back. Ever since he shot Lil' Ben Linus last season he's just kind of floated around, getting mortally wounded and ultimately infected by the Man in Black. He's spent most of this season walking around zombie like, killing without remorse and doing everything that FLocke orders him to. I was happy and surprised a couple weeks ago when we saw (well we didn't actually see it, but c'mon it was pretty obvious...) Sayid spare Desmond. I'm still not sure how this whole "infected" thing works, I had been under the impression that it eradicates free will, but both Claire and Desmond have recently been exercising their independent decision making ability. Is this because the Man in Black's influence over them is fading? Anyway, it was great to see Sayid, a character I had previously thought lost forever, complete his journey toward redemption tonight.

What is there to say about Jin and Sun? My friend texted me from Cinema Salem and told me that half of the audience was blubbering after their death scene. I got another text after the episode from a friend who told me that he was sobbing like Hurley. I'm not surprised, it was one of the most tragic and beautifully executed cinematic moments in recent history. My eyes remained miraculously dry the entire time, which is peculiar because I tear up watching pet food commercials, but I doubt I'll be able to watch the episode a second time without welling up at least a little bit. Jin was so in love with his wife that he chose to drown to death rather than leave her alone again. That's devotion.
                                            Heartbreaking.

Lastly, I want to discuss Frank Lapidus. Poor, poor Frank Lapidus. While his death is certainly overshadowed by the deaths of three original cast members, I think that everyone needs to take at least a moment and appreciate the tragedy of this unfortunate, doomed Lawnmower Man turned doomed airline pilot. Frank probably thought he would live a nice simple life once he left Oceanic and started working for Ajira, until the day that he realized he was flying a plane full of former castaways across the ocean. Once he was back on the Island all he ever wanted was to leave, and he got thrust into a lot of bizzaro crap that he really never should have been involved with, and to the best of my recollection he never once complained about any of it.

All the poor guy wanted to do was to get off the Island so that he could put on a Hawaiian shirt, grow his beard long and spend the rest of his life drinking pina coladas and listening to Jimmy Buffet. Instead he got unceremoniously hit in the skull by a big metal door.

Poor bastard.

As a special bonus I have included, for your delight, the following image from "The Candidate":
 Check out the old lady at the hospital where Jack visits Anthony Cooper. She's lookin' at Jack like a ham sandwich!

7 comments:

  1. two things: 1. i am using that pic as my FB pic when i get home

    2. i have faith in lapidis. when the underwater door blew when jack was in the-- hydra? where- ever, underwater when he met juliette, the pressure alone would have killed them, and they were prancing around fine and dancy like a min later

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a very different take on the deaths of Jin & Sun over at Slate.com:
    http://www.slate.com/id/2242745/

    My disclaimer to it is that I don't watch the show. I've never seen an episode, but I love reading reviews about it. The takes on this show are so diverse, it's interesting to see the interpretations of die-hard fans put up against critics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel, most critics are morons with degrees in literature who, because they've read a lot, like to think that they know everything and that most things suck. Well, I am one moron with a literature degree who is also capable of just letting go and enjoying something for what it is, and LOST happens to be awesome. Anyone who disagrees (and I have friends who disagree vehemently) is wrong. Oh, and thanks for reading, I really enjoy your blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true, but I think this particular critic (and most over at Slate) are critic/fans and are a little more reasonable when it comes to their critiques. I agree with them 9/10 on shows like Mad Men and Dexter, which I have love/hate relationships with. They're not the haughty critic types that hate everything that isn't high snooty art. Which I agree, are obnoxious. You can't hold every movie or TV show to the same standard. Anyone who's trying to grade both Robocop and The Seventh Seal against the same criteria is going to lose perspective.
    I've lost perspective when it comes to TV. Which why the only show I watch on a consistent basis is 30Rock and I think even that is starting to slip. I'd love a show to be solid from beginning to end, but the only shows capable of doing so (I my eyes) are ones that had a short run before cancellation (Carnivale) or entirely pre-scripted with a set amount of episodes, and I think LOST may fall into that latter category. I plan on Netflixing (new verb?) it after its finale airs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The final three seasons fit into the second category. For the first three seasons they didn't know how long the show was going to last for, so there was quite a bit of "wheel spinning", but for the most part it's all good.

    ReplyDelete