Wednesday, February 3, 2010

And the Nominees are...

I'm a day late with this. Here is the list of ten, that's right TEN nominees for the best picture of 2009:
(Clicking on the titles will take you to that film's IMDB page.)

Avatar

The Blind Side

District 9

An Education

The Hurt Locker

Inglorious Basterds

Precious

A Serious Man

Up

Up in the Air

For a complete list of nominations you can visit Oscar at his homepage here.

In case you missed it, you can read my review of The Hurt Locker here.

There are several truly awesome films nominated this year, I'll be getting to the rest of them shortly. 


5 comments:

  1. It's like the academy decided not to make any tough choices this year.
    My predictions:
    UP shouldn't be there and won't win, it's going to win B.A.F. and that's what Pixar has had to settle for in the past.
    An Education and District 9 won't win because Precious was a bit more heartbreaking and Austrailian aliens are no match for pretty blue Canadian aliens, respectively.
    The Blind Side won't win because the sight of Sandra Bullock holding an oscar would cause the universe to implode (that's my theory).
    Up in the Air was good, but not quite as good as it made itself out to be. I liked the defiance of the happy ending and the acting was good, but it failed to be the zeitgeist it could have been.
    For my money the serious contenders are: A Serious Man, Precious, The Hurt Locker, Avatar and Inglourious Basterds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes - I haven't even heard of An Education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel, I agree with everything you say above, though I still need to see a few of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHERE THE HELL IS THE ROAD? WHERE THE HELL IS WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE? DON'T GET ME STARTED ON AVATAR. MAN, SCREW THE OSCARS THIS YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, we all know the truly best picture never wins at the oscars. It's a popularity contest. It has to be a mix of popular, entertaining and well-crafted. Unlike Iron Chef the academy awards the most points for presentation and very few for originality.
    I and I totally agree with you on UP. The first part knocks the wind out of you and could be a short film all on its own.

    ReplyDelete